Moving can feel overwhelming even though you have received the keys to your new dream home. Without a doubt, moving is one of the most complicated parts of life that we have to go through, and many can get lost in all the confusion. One major part of moving is ensuring that the house is ready to hand over to the occupants, so, you may wish to contact a move out cleaning service to help to make your move as stress-free as possible. Do read on for some guides on packing up and moving to your new home.
Prepare Your Supplies
Before you begin packing, make sure you have all the essentials ready like boxes in various sizes, packing tape, box cutters, packing paper or bubble wrap and a permanent marker. Do not forget to prepare a tool kit so that you can take apart furniture. You can also use old newspapers as packing paper for breakable items, such as plates, glassware and vases. Moving boxes can be purchased from a moving supply store or you can even check with your local grocers or liquor store for some free boxes.
Other supplies that you need to get ready are:
- Rope or bungee cords
- Furniture covers
- Trash bags
- Rubber bands
- Shrink wrap
- Hammers, screwdrivers, wrenches
You may run into some obstacles that may slow down the moving process if you do not have these supplies ready.
Declutter and Donate
Moving is the perfect excuse to sort through your possessions and purge the clothes that you never wear, donate the bookshelf that you do not need. You can also donate heavy items like a table or a desk. The best rule of thumb is if you have not used it in the last 2 years, you probably would not use it ever again. If you are planning on selling your belongings, you can try to list them online a month before your move to ensure you receive the best offers possible.
Make a list
No, you do not have to itemized every single one of your possessions. It is a good idea to make a priority list of all the items you would use the most. Write down everything you know you will need at your new place.
Packing Your Belongings
Packing surely takes more time than anything else in the moving process and it can seem overwhelming. However, if you start early, it will definitely be a breeze. Start with packing decorative items and then followed by clothes and kitchen supplies that you do not need.
- For heavy items like plates and kitchen appliance, use smaller boxes so that they are not too heavy to carry. Leave the bigger boxes for lighter items such as clothes, container and bedding.
- Instead of laying them flat in the box, pack plates vertically and they are much less likely to break.
- Use socks or blankets as protective materials to wrap around furniture.
- Use saran wrap to cover open toiletries and food to prevent spilling.
- Label your boxes.
- If you do not like to fold clothes, then leave them in your dresser and seal the drawers securely to keep your clothes in place.
- Remember to take pictures of electronics before taking them apart, so that you know where to plug in all the different cords when you set them up in your new place.
- Leave cleaning supplies somewhere accessible as you may want to clean your old apartment after moving out or new place before moving in.
- Do not forget to pack your necessities such as toilet paper and clothes for the first few days somewhere easy to access, like in a suitcase or clear plastic box.
- Keep your boxes organized for easy identification.
If you cannot find anyone to help you move, you can always hire a moving company and it is best to hire them about a month in advance. If you are trying to stay on a tight budget, you may have to compare quotes with multiple moving companies to ensure that you get the best price. This is where online shipping marketplace like Shiply can help to connect you with rated shipping companies on their platform and often with prices up to 75% cheaper than usual.
Packing might seem like an enormous task but if you follow these tips, you will be ready to move in no time.